b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LXX transliterations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LXX transliterations
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:58:20 +0100

On 16/10/2005 13:41, Vadim Cherny wrote:

(A note for Peter: Joel's examples show that as early as the LXX, begedkefet
were aspirated. In a discussion about schwa some time ago you preferred the
view, if I recall correctly, that the aspiration is a late phenomenon.)

No, Vadim. My position is that probably the KPT letters (i.e. the unvoiced BGDKPT) in Hebrew were aspirated plosives (like most English ones, rather than the Russian plosives which are almost unaspirated at least in the best Moscow pronunciation), which at some uncertain time became fricatives in intervocalic position. Aspiration is not late, fricativisation might be.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)