b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] polygamy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] polygamy
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

I'll be the first to admit that my expertise lies in language, not
historical anthropology, but why is everyone so quick to assume that
the ancient Hebrews were monogamous in the light of so much evidence
to the contrary. Indeed, polygamy survived in common practice until
last century in many parts of the Jewish world. It seems to be taken
for granted in the Torah. And the leaders of Ashkenaz some 1,000
years ago specifically tried to put an end to polygamy.

-Joel M. Hoffman
http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman

  • [b-hebrew] polygamy, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, 10/14/2005