b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Apparently Redundant Letters

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Apparently Redundant Letters
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:01:52 +0200

Dear Alexander,

The fact is, that we don't really know when speakers of Hebrew began
differntiating between the "hard" and "soft" sounds of the letters
b-g-d-k-p-t. Certainly, by the early Middle Ages. Probably, by Second Temple
times (that is, the final centuries BCE), based on the translitteration of
some names in the Septuagint. Probably not in the pre-exilic period, based
on translitteraton of some names in Assyrian documents. In Ugaritic and
Proto-Canaanite, for instance, "t" and "th" were two distinct sounds, that
had two distinct signs. The same for "d" and "dh". In the 22 letter
Canaanite/Hebrew alphabet, they were assimilated into one sign. IF speakers
of Hebrew continued to diffentiate between the two sounds (as they did for
'ayin and ghayin, even though they only used one sign, and probably did for
sin and shin), it had nothing to do with the daggesh or with their position
in the word.

All languages evolve. This is true of Hebrew as well. Even "Biblical Hebrew"
encompasses several hundred years. Different regions had different dialects,
certainlly different accents. Remember "Shibboleth/Sibboleth"? So when you
try to recreate the "original" pronunciation, what you're recreating is a
scholarly convention, no more.

SO - from the point of view of the way Hebrew has been pronounced in an
unbroken (albeit changing and evolving) tradition:

Beth (withouth dagheh) - V as in "very"

Correct.

Waw - W as in "wish"

Almost all speakers of Hebrew for the past thousand years or so have
pronounced "vav", but yes, scholarly convention recreates "w".

Gimel - GH as in "aghast"
Gimel with daghesh - G as in "good"

I don't hear the difference in English. There obviously was one in Masoretic
Hebrew. Certain traditions preserve a "rh" sound for no dagesh.

Daleth - TH as in "the"
Daleth with daghesh - D as in "dot"

Probably.

Taw - TH as in "thin"
Taw with daghesh - T as in "tin"

Yes

Teth - T as in "tot"
Teth may have been pronounced more on the palate than its counterpart Taw,
which seems to have been pronounced with the tongue on the back of the
teeth and with a slight breathing.

Listen to a native Arabic speaker pronounce the equivelent sound.

Kaf with daghesh - K as in "keep"
Qof - a K at back of throat
The letter Qof was probably pronounced further back in the throat than
Kaf.

Yes. The two are NOT interchaingable.

Sin - S as in "seen"
Samekh - S as in "sack"
Sin is a softer S than the Samekh. I haven't managed to distinguish these
two sounds.

Neither have I.

Alef - The grammar book says this letter had "almost no sound". I believe
it was a glottal stop (a very brief silence, air through the glottis is
stopped)
Ayin - The grammar book says this letter is a glottal stop. I believe it's
more like the Arabic Ayn - a voiced pharyngeal fricative, without a
glottal stop.

Certainly.

Yigal

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Oldernes" <alexander AT oldernes.no>