b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Question about Suffixes on Infinitive Construct

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jerry Shepherd" <jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Question about Suffixes on Infinitive Construct
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:18:32 -0600

List Members,

I have told a Hebrew exegesis class I am teaching that suffixes on the
infinitive construct are much more likely to be subject rather than
object, and that this is especially the case with a beth or kaph
prefixed preposition, but that with a lamed preposition the suffix is
more likely to be an object. I've looked in several grammars (Kittel,
Lambdin, Weingreen, Greenberg, Jouon-Muraoka, Arnold and Choi, van der
Merwe, etc.), and I think I have fairly represented the case, but I'm
wondering if anyone on the list might have a better feel than I do with
regard to some kind of percentage with regard to subject vs. object.
Thanks.

Jerry Shepherd

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary
11525 - 23 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6J 4T3
CANADA
Office: (780)431-5250
Home: (780)434-1164
Fax: (780)436-9416
Email: Jerry.Shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca
<mailto:Jerry.Shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
Internet: http://www.taylor-edu.ca <http://www.taylor-edu.ca>

  • [b-hebrew] Question about Suffixes on Infinitive Construct, Jerry Shepherd, 10/05/2005