b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:58:42 +0300

Dear Brian,

If you are reading a text other than the MT please inform us. Otherwise, we have to conclude that you are *not* reading the MT.

To begin with, as you know, punctuation is alien to the MT, and is reconstructed only tentatively.

Example: Verse 7's `aphar, which at least you agree means dust, is not in the same clause as vayyippax as your below translation indicates. That is indeed your error regarding syntax.

You rely on the rule that wayiqtol is clause-initial. Ok.

Dust of the ground, [it] blew into his face.

Or,

The Lord God brought forward the man, dust of the ground. It [the dust] blew into his face.

We understand your shtick is that of the iconoclast, but is the MT really your target, too? Out of one side of your mouth you hold to the most reactionary of grammatical views of the wayyiqtol verb form (vav-converted tense).

Reaction is often a return to the comnmon sense, you see.

Vadim Cherny