b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'Chocoholic'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwood.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'Chocoholic'
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:16:15 +0100

While chocolicism is not a formal medical condition, it is clear that the
word play indicates more than a simple like of chocolate.

Would describe a person who loves chocolate but only eats it once a
year/month/week
as a chocoholic?
I can't speak for all of the UK but I have certainly never heard it used of
such
of a person.

A person who describes themselves as a chocoholic is usually a person who
cannot
resist the temptation to indulge when chocolate is in their sight or offered
them. Now I like chocolate but I can hardly be described as such a person
because
I find it quiet easy to turn chocolate down but have extreme difficulty when
real pizzeria (only found in Italy) offers me a pizza. Maybe I'm a pizzaholic
(now this is a pun as I understand the term). I'm also a b-hebrewaholic and a
debate-aholic but definitely not a chocoholic.

Our discussion has highlighted one very important factor, though - that
different
people have different understanding of the same term (even if they share the
same
first language). And so the question very often is not 'What does the term
mean?'
but 'What did the author intend to communicate?'. A question that can only be
answered
from context and good linguistic instincts combined with a good relationship
with
Yah.