b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] tenses-methodology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] tenses-methodology
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:04:12 -0400

Assuming that we are unlikely to find any 3000 year old Hebrews who can tell us whether our theories are correct or not, what options are available to us for determining how tenses were understood?
Should any examination of this question assume uniformity throughout the history of the language or would it be necessary to consider the probable time of authorship?
Can we get past a working theory using just linguistic analysis of extant texts?
What are the limits of what we can learn from ancient translations? I should think that one problem in trying to determine how the author of Exodus used tenses from translations is that these translations were made after the language was influsenced by the Aramaic language. The usage may not be the same in the two time periods. I should also think that one would have to consider who the translation was written for and why it was written. If we give any credence to the traditions concerning the LXX, then it was written by Hebrews who were somewhat isolated from other speakers of the Hebrew language. This raises questions about whether their dialect had shifted from the standard.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy