b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] archaic/pseudo-archaic/etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] archaic/pseudo-archaic/etc.
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:31:15 -0400 (EDT)

>Waw-reversive, in that scenario, just reverses tenses: weqatal is
>archaic future, while wayiqtol is pseudo-archaic past.

Is there any evidence that weqatal is archaic? Do we have clear
evidence that it was used in any popular dialect that predates Hebrew?
And if we do, is there any reasonable theory that explain why this
archaic element alone is so prevelent in classical Hebrew?

I frequently see people rely on "archaic" Hebrew to explain otherwise
unusual Hebrew forms, but I have yet to see any independent
confirmatory investigation into archaic Hebrew.

And what is "pseudo-archaic"?

-Joel Hoffman
http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman