b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A suspicious reference

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A suspicious reference
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:11:28 +0300

On 9/14/05, Vadim Cherny wrote:
> I saw several references on Internet to Iaouee pronunciation, consistent
> with iahwe. However, all of them refer to the article of "Anson F. Rainey,
> professor of Semitic Linguistics at Tel Aviv University," and publication
> in
> "London Papyri."

This apparently relates to a letter Prof Rainey wrote to BAR, reproduced
here: http://members.fortunecity.com/yahuwthah/Resource-577/AnsonLetter.htm

This letter evidently refers to two other BAR articles in July/August 1985,
and in May/June 1994. I would suggest you look those up.

> Did anyone actually saw a photo of that transliteration? Any other
> verification? I'm in doubt.

I wouldn't be so quick to doubt Prof Rainey. I suggest you first look up
all the above exchanges between Prof Rainey and others on BAR.

Yitzhak Sapir