b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Matanya Ophee <m.ophee AT orphee.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Transliteration
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:38:54 -0400

At 03:06 PM 9/10/2005, yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com wrote:
I would suggest using the following table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_alphabet#Name_and_transliteration

and using an up to date browser to view it so you see all the special symbols
properly.

Thank you. I would have to study this in detail, but it seems that it would not serve my purpose. The audience for my publication is not academic, but rather a general public of professional singers who probably never even heard of the International Phonetic Alphabet. I will have to use, and if it does not exist, invent a transliteration that uses plain Latin characters. With diacritics if necessary.

I have done this recently for Russian, and the result does not look like anything you will see in the academic literature, but perfectly understandable for singers.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226