b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Cubits

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Cubits
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:53:17 +0200

Except, Jack, that very early on, kingdoms began setting standard
measurements (usually based on those of the reigning king). This was done by
the Persians, probably earlier as well. The reason for this is not problems
in building a single boat or a private residence, but monumental
architechture, roads and bridges etc. Also, measures of weight, volume and
length were used to collect taxes, and so it was importand that there be no
disagreement between what the tax-collector calls as bushel and what the
taxee thinks is his bushel. In the Bible, when the Israelites are commanded
to give their half-shekels to the sanctuary, each "shekel of the sanctuary"
is defined as weighing 20 gerah. Other weigths, such as a pim, are also
mentioned, and archaeologists have found inscribed stone weights, that have
been found to conform to uniform standards.

Intersetingly, in describing Og, king of Bashan, Deut. 3:11 points out that
his bed measured 9x4 cubits "after the cubit of a man", that is, standard
cubits.

Yigal

Yigal