b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons" -- CORRECTION

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons" -- CORRECTION
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:07:20 -0400

I realized about as soon as I had sent this message that I had written
"kings of Israel" when I meant "kings of Judah." Please understand the
latter.

george
gfsomsel
___________

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:01:35 -0400 George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
writes:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:51:09 +0000 "Kevin Graham"
> <kevlds AT hotmail.com> writes:
> > Thanks Harold. The last sentence in the verse just seems to be
> > self-contradictory. It says the firstborn males of every womb was
> > be
> > "sacrificed" with the firstborn animals (suggesting sacrificed in
>
> > the same
> > manner) and then in the same breath it says the firstborn were
> > "redeemed."
> >
> > It is hard to figure out if child sacrifice was actually condoned
> or
> >
> > commanded, originally. I know it was later stated (unambiguously)
>
> > that the
> > Levites were to take the place of firstborn sacrifices.
>
> It seems to me that the story of Abraham's "sacrifice" of Isaac is
> related to the question of the sacrifice/redemption of the
> first-born. It might even be a reaction to and condemnation of the
> practices of the kings of Israel which explains its placement at
> Moraiah and the identification of Moriah with Jerusalem.
>
> george
> gfsomsel

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons" -- CORRECTION, George F Somsel, 08/30/2005