b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Just a clarification about YHWH and JWs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Just a clarification about YHWH and JWs
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:51:38 +0100

While it is true that the watchtower society has no official doctrine on the
hebrew pronunciation it is not true that there are no publications or
articles
that have discussed this. A couple of years ago the watchtower featured an
article that discussed this topic and favoured a trisyllabic pronunciation
wit the vowel pattern yeho/yaho/yahu. This was based on a discussion of the
theophoric name components.
The form Jehovah is used because it the accepted *English* form. The Italian
publications use the form Geova. The Spanish publications use the form
Jehova
(pronounced kheyoba'). The Russian publications use the form Yegovi. An
effort
is made to use the form which has been received into each respective language
just as is the practice with all other biblical names.