b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Qal Infinitative Absolute for Strong Verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Qal Infinitative Absolute for Strong Verbs
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:59:01 -0400

OK, here is a simple one for someone who doesn't mind a
simple one. If you have a strong verb like ShMR, the 3rd
person masculine singular is shamar (qamets & pathah). The
2nd person masucline singular shemor (shewa & holem), as is
the qal infinive construct.

Now assuming that I got all of that correct, the only
difference I can see between the construct and the qal
infinitive absolute is that that latter has a holem vav
rather than just a holem. If that is right then it would
be pronounced just like the qal infinitive construct and 2
ms imperative. This seems to be the case for at least some
of the weak verbs. Is that right?

Jack Tladatsi

  • [b-hebrew] Qal Infinitative Absolute for Strong Verbs, tladatsi, 08/12/2005