b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FROM STAFF Re: Attributes of YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FROM STAFF Re: Attributes of YHWH
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:20:18 -0400

Dear Gene,

We may explore on the list if the Hebrew word translated _Peniel_ really does mean "the face of God," however I can't see that that is what your post was meant to do. We are not going to settle the question based on personal beliefs or sectarian teaching. We are not going to explore, in and of itself (even limiting ourselves to Scriptural proof-texts), an attribute of God.

Let's take any further discussion of this matter off-list, please.

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair

Gene Gardner wrote:
B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com Fri Aug 12 07:51:15 EDT 2005

FROM THE B-HEBREW STAFF

Once again, folks, let's reign in the discussion. b-hebrew does not exist to decide the attributes of God.

Let me clarify: In searching out a better
understanding of the Hebrew text of the Tanakh, we may teach and learn the
attributes of God along the way. On the other hand, the topic "the attributes
of God" shall not be the primary and only topic of a
thread. This is not a religion chat room.

With all due respect Bryan, I did not come to this
forum looking for a religious chat room. I came here
to discuss what the plain Hebrew text actually says,
and to discuss the opinions of other list members in
reference to this. Does the text cited say “face”, or
is it an errant translation. Do other texts say head
or feet in the Hebrew, or are they errant as well.
These are my questions, and they are based strictly on
the Hebrew text and what it says. Maybe the title of
the thread could be better, but my questions are based
solely on language, and not religion.