b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] D Material in Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "Christopher V. Kimball" <mail AT cvkimball.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] D Material in Exodus
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:44:45 +0200

Chris,

A certain amount of non-D material in Deuteronomy is uncontroversial, I
think, but how about the other way around? As far as I can see, Friedman does
not have any D material e.g. in Exodus.

Since posting the question on monday I've realized that already Noth ascribed
a certain amount of deuteronomistic redaction to the finished Tetrateuch
("Überlieferungsgeschichte der Pentateuch"), and B Peckham in "The
Composition of the Deuteronomistic History" goes further, but I can't for the
life of me see what W. Johnstone's reasons are (in his "Old Testament Guides"
volume on Exodus) for assuming that the revelation of the divine name in Ex 3
should be considered D.

Anyway, thanks for the input, this at least leaves me confused on a much
higher level than before :-)

kol tuv
Soren