b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH & Elohim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH & Elohim
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:43:33 +0100

On 06/08/2005 23:20, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:

... Even more interesting, YHWH and Elohim never occur in theophoric names, at least I found none. ...

There is Gibeath-haElohim or Gibeah of God in 1 Samuel 10:5.

The logic of lengthening a short name to a longer name is pretty obvious. It is both visually more impressive and sounds better. ...

I see your point. But isn't there an even more obvious logic to shortening a long name, especially when it is incorporated within a compound name? In that case YHWH and Eloah/Elohim would have been the original full forms, and YH/YHW and El abbreviated versions used largely in names and (perhaps where it fits the "metre" better) in poetry.

So why is your suggestion better than my tentative one?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)