b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] translation of ehyeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] translation of ehyeh
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:49:45 EDT

Interestingly, the Jewish Orthodox English translation of this same Bavli
passage in Artscroll Mesorah's Schottenstein Edition of the Talmud (1997)
reads:

EHYEH ASHER EHYEH, - I Shall Be As I Shall Be. The Holy One, Blessed is He,
said to Moses, "Go and say to Israel, 'I was with them in this subjugation
in Egypt, and I shall be with them at the time of their subjugation at the
hands of other kingdoms.' Moses said before God, "Master of the universe!
It
is enough for an affliction to be dealt with at the time it actually
arrives....Thereupon the Holy One, Blessed is He, said to him...'Go and tell
them, 'I
Shall BE has sent me to you.'" (Berachos 9b)

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/03/2005 9:39:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,