b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:06:23 +0300

RE: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciationNo, Iao can't be verb YHWH, since he was
likely pronounced then, at least in Clement's mileau. Anyway, that verb
cannot be pronounced as Iao by anyone who knows Hebrew.

Vadim Cherny

IAO is evidently a transliteration of YaHoW which could
well be a shortened form of YaHoWaH (the origianl verb).

Furthermore, this shortened form is well attested in
theophoric components of many hebrew names where it is
reasonably assumed that the correct has been preserved to
the extent that evolution of pronuniciation permits.

Therefore, I find your argument to be weak.