b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:10:46 +0100

RE: [b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-typesDear James,

Both YIQTOLs and QATALs can be translated with future and future perfect.
Future perfect is chosen for pragmatic reasons, where the lexical meaning of
the verbs play an important role. In English, future perfect is a combination
of the future tense and the perfectic aspect, and it can represent past in
the future. Your suggestion "though he will have done no violence" exactly
expresses my viewpoint and could have been used by my. The reason why I used
"though he had done no violence and there was no deception in his mouth" may
be because I am no native speaker of English. Since the presence of the
servant had been established as future in relation to the deictic center, and
the verse speaks about the death of the servant, I thought that a pluperfect
and simple past would signal that that during the servant`s life (in the
future) and before his death he did no violence and no deception was found. I
felt that my choice of English verb tenses served the same role as future
perfects, and that this was a smother way of expression.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo