b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] etymology opinion question for the list

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] etymology opinion question for the list
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:43:01 -0600

Agreed. I often get questions via my web page from people who are wrestling
with this question of "How should I pronounce it?" because some folks on the
web are making a big deal of it. I make a habit of pointing out that the
name "John" in English is Johann in German, Jean in French, Juan in Spanish,
Ivan in Russian, and so on. An excellent example comes from one of Tom
Clancy's books, in which the Soviet premier (that certainly dates the book!)
is reflecting on Jack Ryan, the main character. He notes, in his thoughts,
that "Jack" is a slang for "John," which in Russian is Ivan. Russian names
don't use a middle name but a patronymic; Ryan's father was named Emmet, so
his patronymic would be Emmetovich. Out loud, he calls Jack "Ivan
Emmetovich." Ryan is flattered that the premier respects him enough to
render his name into his own language this way.

I usually conclude by telling the questioner this: how you pronounce the name
really isn't important. What matters is the person referred to. Someone can
call me David, Dave, Dah-VEED in several languages, or "hey you, the
funny-looking one" and if I know they're speaking of me, I'll reply. Names
are most always a special case.