b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Re: YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Re: YHWH
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:28:13 +0100

On 28/07/2005 07:19, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

... Also,
I don't see Sujata or you cite any specific verses that say "when I
refer to other
gods, I mean handmade objects." For example, Psalm 115 appears to hold
that point of view, but that's not God speaking. On the other hand, Judges 11:23 - 24 appears to very clearly hold the viewpoint that Kemosh is a
real god.

That isn't God speaking either, it is Jephthah, who may not have been an Israelite at all and certainly had a religion not compatible with later Jewish religion e.g. in how he sacrificed his daughter. Yes, there were polytheists etc around during Bible times. But that does not mean that the Bible teaches polytheism.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)