b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] YHWH
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:54:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel at exc.com
Tue Jul 26 17:28:36 EDT 2005

wrote:

Very interesting. I have always assumed that the
tetragrammaton had no pronunciation, but I suppose
that your suggestion is equally likely. (Either way,
it sounded nothing like YAHWEH, or JAVE, or JOVE, or
YAHOVA, etc....)

Joel,

I was thinking, that if your first statement was
correct, then what did the High Priest pronounce on
Yom Kippur? Secondly, I would like to know what you
believe the Name was closer to when spoken if was not
similar to any that you mentioned above.