b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] (no subject)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:25:54 +1200 (NZST)

Peter wrote:-

>Rolf, let me make this clear. I have stated that there is a fundamental
>logical flaw in your argument, that it simply confirms your initial a
>priori assumption (that there are two semantically distinct verb forms
>rather than fouror five). This devastating critique basically implies
>that your work is valueless.

First, if a man (or woman) has undertaken research, written up a Ph.D.
thesis, had it examined by multiple examiners who are experts in their
field including at least one external to the University the student is at,
defended it orally, and been awarded his degree, one could rightly assume
that the person's work had some value.

Second, on the question of two, four or five semantically distinct
verb forms is it possible to demonstrate which of these is indeed
correct without having to make some apriori assumption? It seems
to me that Peter's objection to Rolf's two verb form model can also
be leveled at a model which assumes a different number. Put another
way, if we make no assumptions about the number of semantically
distinct verb forms can we arrive at an answer that convinces
the majority of scholars in the field?

Bill Rea, IT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'