b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHVH pronunciation - cholam analysis & Ben Hayim text question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Praexus AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHVH pronunciation - cholam analysis & Ben Hayim text question
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:43:21 +0100

On 21/07/2005 10:12, Praexus AT aol.com wrote:

Now to Nehemiah Gordon, since we don't have HTML I have to make a few adjustments.

"by the rules of the Hebrew language the first hey in YHVH must have some vowel...."

This point is misleading. The Hebrew *language* does not require a pronounced vowel following the he. There are many words e.g. EHYEH "I am" in which he is followed directly by a consonant. The rule which Gordon presumably has in mind is a rule of the Hebrew *writing system*, with Tiberian Masoretic pointing, by which, except at the end of a word, each consonant which is to be pronounced (i.e. excluding matres lectionis - but he is never a mater lectionis in the middle of a word) must carry a point. But that point may be not a vowel point, but sheva, which (in a context like this) indicates the lack of a vowel sound, that the consonant is the first in a consonant cluster. However, this rule needs to be modified in cases of Qere and Ketiv, especially where there are fewer Qere vowels than Ketiv consonants,

This hasn't really come up directly, the basic rule, on b-hebrew. There was a little preview leading up to that conclusion, which I bypassed.
"It is possible that the medieval scribes omitted the vowel in the first hey of YeHVaH to prevent the readers from reading the name out loud."

This presupposed that they omitted something, rather than never writing it. The evidence seems to be that the holam was never written.

"only reason the Masoretic scribes would have left the form Yehowih without dropping the vowel after the hey is because they knew this was not the true pronunciation of the divine name. ... the Masoretic scribes knew the name to be Yehovah and suppressed its pronunciation by omitting the "o". This is confirmed by the fact that the scribes actually forgot to suppress the vowel "o" in a number of instances."

Again, this presupposes an accidental omission. There are reasonable alternatives. One might be that, according to some reading tradition, the divine name was most commonly pronounced something like shema', but in just a very few cases 'adonay, or 'elohim: these three alternatives correspond to the three attested pointings. But it might be interesting to analyse in detail the 50 or so cases where holam is written in L, and the apparently smaller number where it is written in Aleppo, to see if there are any common factors to explain why the pronunciation was sometimes shema' and sometimes 'adonay.

"the scribe knew that the word YHVH sounded like Yehovah and even though he was supposed to suppress the vowel "o" he left it in, in a few dozen instances. ...

So this is a very clear assertion, and I don't think we have discussed it on the thread yet.

Such a repeated scribal error seems highly improbable, especially as L was probably copied directly from Aleppo but there are places where L has the holam but Aleppo does not.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)