b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Versification of the Westminister Leningrad Codex

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christopher V. Kimball" <mail AT cvkimball.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Versification of the Westminister Leningrad Codex
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:55:12 -0400

I agree and have removed the sentence. It's the "chapterization" and numbering that are later and they're not dealt with on the page. Thanks!

At the end of Nehemiah 6:8, the WLC continues without a sof pasuq (but with a transcription note). The JPS Tanach inserts a sof pasuq. I find that all other verses in the WLC end in a sof pasuq.

The WLC splits Isaiah 63:19 - 64:1 at the sof pasuq. The JPS Tanach leaves the chapter split ambiguous in both the Hebrew and English.

Three instances were found in which a paragraph-marking samekh (Job 42:11) or pe (Joshua 12:8, 2 Samuel 22:51) were not properly tagged in the Unicode/XML Tanach. This results in an undercount of the paragraph markers and an over count of consonants. Repairs are underway.

Chris Kimball