b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cholam in YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cholam in YHWH
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:44:26 +0100

On 17/07/2005 00:40, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

Is this in the first or second instance of the name in Ex 13:15? Because the second instance has a Ravia` which could be confused for a Holam.

This is the first occurrence in the verse. The dot cannot be a revia because the word also carries a mahpak, as is clear from the image.

Also, this may be the place to point out that there is no copy
of the Aleppo Codex of Ex 13:15, unfortunately.

Indeed. Martin has posted the complete list of occurrences, saving me the job. I checked some of the Jeremiah occurrences against a facsimile of Aleppo. It might be an instructive exercise to check as many as possible of these references against Aleppo to see of any of them have holam, but I don't have time to do that.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)