b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew and English word order

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Gray" <david_gray AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew and English word order
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:22:17 +0100

Clay,

"...play by different sets of rules"

Completely different, or more like Rugby Union vs. Rugby League? Or Rugby vs.
American Football? My understanding is that both literary critics and
linguists carry out some kind of discourse analysis, only they come at the
story or text from a different angle. Literary critics are much more
interested in characterisation (compare 'participant reference') - and their
first step often overlaps with that of linguists. It is when they start to
apply their findings that we really notice differences in approach. Linguists
don't tend to worry about the motives of characters, whether the characters
come across as good or bad, mimesis or 'gaps'. Both linguists and literary
critics are interested in 'major' and 'minor' participants, however (though
again, literary critics use different terminology).

Anyway, in principle why shouldn't a linguist critique a literary critic's
translation? It is there to be criticised, from any angle a reader (academic
or not) chooses.

I also had a few questions to do with de Regt's criticism of the 'Noah walked
with God' line. It seems to me to be so short that English can't do much with
it. 'It was with God that Noah walked' would work, but only by adding several
words. And it doesn't fit the cotext very well. The contrast is found in the
first phrase about Noah finding favour in the eyes of the LORD v8 not in our
phrase in v9. We could suggest 'Noah walked <with God>' using italics? As you
say, ’In English the focus element is often marked by vocal emphasis and it
can be clause final.'

Over to you, David Gray

david_gray AT sil.org