b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] stew of Edom

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] stew of Edom
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:13:44 +0200

Hi Jack,

The color Adom (red) is always spelled with the defective holem, except in
Cant. 5:10, where it means something like "ruddy".
The eponym/land of Edom is almost spelled with a full holem (that
s, )DWM ), except in Ez. 25:24, where the word "be'edom" ("in Edom")
appears twice, the first of which is defective. On the other hand, "Adomi"
(Edomite) is always defective, although the plural Adomim can go either way.

The word Edom appears in a couple of the Arad ostraca, dated to the early
sixth century. There, it's spelled defectively.

And yes, I think that "that red, red, soup", is meant for effect.

Yigal