b-hebrew - Transliteration fonts, was: [b-hebrew] confirmation of subscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Emmanuel Gitlin <gitlins AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Transliteration fonts, was: [b-hebrew] confirmation of subscription
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:26:02 +0100

On 02/06/2005 07:09, Emmanuel Gitlin wrote:

This is to confirm my previous subscription. In addition to the Hebrew
script I am interested in a transliteration-from-Hebrew font if such is
available by way of a simple cd-rom disk rather than a complex process, such
as received a year of two ago from SIL after ardent requests and a financial
contribution.

I am surprised at your suggestion that SIL requires a financial contribution, except perhaps to cover the costs of putting on a CD and mailing what is freely available on the Internet. See http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=EzraSIL_Home for the latest Unicode-based SIL Hebrew fonts, and http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=SILEzra for an older version which includes a transliteration font. No specific transliteration font is required for the Unicode system as SIL's regular Latin script Unicode font is suitable, see http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=DoulosSILfont.

However, I don't think you will find anywhere a font which allows you to transliterate Hebrew simply by a font change. I'm not sure if that would even be possible, for there is not a simple one-to-one correspondence between Hebrew and Latin script. It might be possible to set up a basic transliteration through the complexities of the OpenType font system, but there is no way it could disambiguate varieties of qamats, sheva etc. Anyway, this is not at all the right way to deal with this issue, for transliteration is not just an adjusted display but a modified text.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)