b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] citing sources

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: James Cohen <james_cohen AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] citing sources
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 15:48:25 +0300

On 5/29/05, James Cohen <james_cohen AT sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> A while back you posted the following message:
>
> The ancient Hebrew maxim states: "He who cites his
> sources brings redwemption to the world". I believe
> there is also the opposite maxim.
> Sincerely,
>
> --
> Jonathan D. Safren
>
> I was trying to track down the source of that maxim.
> I think it is in the Talmud somewhere as a way to
> achieve tikkun olam, i.e. stitching up the world after
> it had shattered -- in the Kabalist's image. When I
> typed as much of the quote as I could remember into
> Google you were the only hit. Can you help me
> identify the tractate or, if not the Talmud, another source?

See here:
"And whosoever says a saying in the name of its
sayer brings redemption to the world [As it says in Esther 2,
And Esther said to the king in the name of Mardochai]"

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/b/l/l6102.htm
Bavli, Nida 19b, brought by R' Yosi

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/b/l/l2901.htm
Bavli, Megila 15a, brought by R' Hanina with Esther reference

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/b/l/l5308.htm
Bavli, Hulin 104b brought by R' Yosi with Esther reference

Yitzhak Sapir