b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Repairs if your Internet Explore (or Avant browser) was damaged by Netscape 8.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: "Christopher V. Kimball" <mail AT cvkimball.com>
  • Cc: , b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Repairs if your Internet Explore (or Avant browser) was damaged by Netscape 8.
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:07:51 +0100

At 21:44 26/05/2005, Christopher V. Kimball wrote:

*
Downloading Netscape 8 ruined Internet Explorer's display of the Unicode/XML Tanach on my system for the last week.
"kenbodensteiner" posted a repair on the webmasterworld.com bulletin board. (http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum26/162-1-10.htm#msg5) If you're experiencing problems with Internet Explorer 6 (or the Avant browser) because you downloaded Netscape 8, see this link or contact me off-list for easy repair instructions.*

Christopher:

Today saw an article posted to http://itrain.org/itinfo/

Microsoft Corp. is urging Windows XP users to uninstall the new Netscape 8
webbrowser because it can conflict with Microsoft Internet Explorer. Not
surprisingly, Microsoft is claiming that the problem is with Netscape,
rather than their own browser that invades the operating system like kudzu.

The problem may only affect a very small number of users, and it is limited
to displaying RSS (real simple syndication) data, not general-purpose
webpages. The folk at America Online, Netscape's owner reported today that
a patch will be released next week.

Dave's Opinion The potential conflict doesn't affect security, and I'm not
surprised that Microsoft will do a bit of the crying wolf in order to
create negative publicity for any competing product.

I suggest that users don't play into Microsoft's consternation and instead
move straight to Mozilla Firefox, a stable, fast webbrowser with hundreds
of optional extensions that allow users to customize the browser's
functionality.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie