b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] More on Piel etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] More on Piel etc.
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:41:34 -0500

Joel:

You are defining terms according to a modern, Indo-European manner. But is
that the way the ancient Semites defined their terms? I don’t think so. In
fact, I have repeatedly contended that the ancient Hebrews looked at an
action behind all their root meanings, not a state of being or an object as
is in Into-European languages.

The different binyanim are a fairly rigid means of assigning meaning to the
roots. Like all languages, it is not without exceptions, but again like all
languages, the exceptions are far outnumbered by those examples that follow
the rules.

Let’s take an example you mention, NGD. From the shegolate and other forms,
we see the root meaning of being in front of. Because the root meaning
already is a rather stative concept, we don’t expect to find it as a Piel,
and we don’t. The Hiphil causative shows an action that a matter, case,
object, etc. is put before someone so that he should notice it, literally
“cause to be in front of”. That the action is often done verbally does not
negate the basic root action.

What I find is that lexicographers all too often define each binyan in
isolation from other binyanim, and then claim that there is no connection.
They didn’t even look! And I go as far as to say that when they have done so
in semantic domains without considering root actions, that they run the risk
of misunderstanding the semantic domain (e.g. irony uses words opposite to
their usual meaning, to make a point) and so they end up with a different
definition than the semantic domain originally intended.

Another example is YR$ with the root action of expropriation, i.e. the
transfer of property from one to another. Children expropriate their parents,
hence inheritance is a derivative use. Another example is YLD with a root
action of bringing forth. Giving birth is one form of bringing forth, hence
it is a derivative use. Again the Hiphil use is consistent with the cause to
bring forth.

Another thing I keep emphasizing is that which often makes perfect sense in
Biblical Hebrew, often comes out garbled when translated, because of the
differences of the languages. Similarly, a translator often will find it
better to use a term in translation for a particular verb’s binyan that does
not directly relate to the root meaning, again because of the differences in
languages and that a root meaning may be awkward in direct translation.

The very reason I say that the binyanim indicate meaning is because I expect
that ancient Hebrew acted just like any other language spoken by man. Forms
do confer meaning. Many Indo-European languages have different forms for the
nominative, genitive, dative and accusative nouns: using the wrong form, if
it is not recognized as a mistake, will result in gibberish. The same is for
verbal forms indicating tenses. Similarly, the different forms affected by
Hebrew roots correlate to meanings conferred by the forms, so that if we know
the effect of the form on the meaning, it will help us understand correctly
lexemes, their meanings as affected by their forms, even their semantic
domains.

Karl W. Randolph.