b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHVH Derivation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHVH Derivation
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 08:20:37 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, it is definitely the Aramaic of the Hebrew verb HYH (to be). And
indeed, it may have been an ancestral deity of some early Israelites
originating in the north-west where Aramaic was spoken.

De Moor and others before him consider YHWH a hypocoristicon of a full name
such as *YHWHEL meaning "El is", exactly as the later biblical PN Yehoyakhin
refers to YHWH which had assumed the form of a full name by then.

This suggests in turn that there is no need to regard YHWH as causative in
meaning, and not to derive this from Hifil, which Albright considered here.

Uri

Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net> wrote:
" ..it is Aramaic. A
Hiph'il form of HYH is, as far as I know, non-attested. There is an Hafel
of HWH in Daniel 5:12 yhhwh. It is possible that HWH was "proto-Hebrew"
later assimilated as HYH? It is the antiquity I am going for here.

El and Yhwh may have been merged as an hypocoristicon. The Qal of hwh taken
from a TITLE phrase as a hypocoristicon of EL, ala Albright and Cross? A
title like "El causes something to come into
being".

Jack

Jack Kilmon
San Marcos, Texas