b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XRM and 1 Sam 15:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XRM and 1 Sam 15:2
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 00:03:26 +0100

On Tue 3 May 2005 , tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:
> Ameleq will be subject XRM because of what Ameleq did to Isreal during
> the exodus from Egypt.
>
> Lots of other tribes were also on-going military threats, the
> Midianites, Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, etc. None of them were
> subject to XRM. The text of 1 Sam 15:2 is straight forward about why
> XRM was imposed.

Quite right, Jack. XeReM was imposed by the decree of YHWH in Exodus 17:16,
reinforced in Deuteronomy 25:19. The executive order to PQD this upon Ameleq
is in 1 Samuel 15:2.

Ameleq was a threat to Israel over and above the lesser hostility of the
other tribes you mention. The Amalekites were from Petra, descendants of
Esau (Genesis 36:12, 16; Antiquities 3:2). They tried to rally their
neighbours against Israel in the wilderness. They harried the stragglers of
Israel, then made a full frontal attack at Rephidim. This was an attempt to
destroy Israel, no less determined than Haman the *Agagite's* [Amalekite's]
attempt in the Book of Esther.

The Amalekites styled themselves Re'$iYT GoWYiM, the foremost of the nations
(Numbers 24:20). Israel was God's chosen nation; not Esau. "Jacob have I
loved, and Esau have I hated" (Malachi 1:2-3; Romans 9:13).

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF ZFC Lu
<ben.crick AT NOSPAM.argonet.co.uk>