b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] emendations of the sopherim - is the Masoretic text an accurate Hebrew Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] emendations of the sopherim - is the Masoretic text an accurate Hebrew Bible
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 06:18:35 -0400

Hi b-hebrew,

With all the discussions of the sopherim, and purported emendations thereof,
allow me to point out that we an some interesting, albeit incomplete, earlier
thread.

It seems the whole basic emendations theory is unproven and conjectural, and
yet
a lot of times it is accepted on reference momentum only.

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2002-September/date.html
emandations of the sopherim
emendations of the sopherim, adonai vowels under the tetragrammaton

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2003-January/date.html

Note that Lawrence Schiffman is of the view that the emendations theory
(Christian David Ginsburg, Bullinger) is a mistaken understanding of the
Masorah. Also Nehemiah Gordon, who has worked with Emanuel Tov,
is of similar view, that Ginsburg basically just got it wrong.

(btw...note also that Psalm 22:16 had some interesting posts at the same
month)

Apparently there are a lot of assumptions, conclusions and conjectures on the
sopherim theories, rarely going back and reviewing and studying the hard
evidences.

The rest of the post will have a variety of links and discussions on this,
that I meant
to post back in 2003 :-) The links and references still look good. It is
really meant
to just give an orientation to a very significant albeit difficult issue.
You will find
some of the Lawrence Schiffman quotes, such as the one at the very bottom.

There are a few issues here, 18+ verses like
Gen 18:22,
Tetragrammaton - claimed change to adonay in 134 case
Essentially the claim is that the Sopherim "smoothed" the Tanach text to
make it
more doctrinally palatable...

Here are some examples of the claims
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~eyes2see/30.html (the basic contention)
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~eyes2see/33.html
http://hector3000.future.easyspace.com/emendations.htm (not much scholarship,
simply versions)

Bullinger in the Companion Bible
http://www.giveshare.org/library/companionbible/appendices/app30.html
http://www.giveshare.org/library/companionbible/appendices/app31.html
http://www.giveshare.org/library/companionbible/appendices/app32.html
http://www.giveshare.org/library/companionbible/appendices/app33.html

This is a view of the Masoretic text that comes largely out of Christian
David Ginsburg's
Massorah compilation, as popularized by Bullinger's Companion Bible, and that
views a number
of passages as having been changed in the time of Ezra and Nehemiah by the
Sopherim ..

However these claims are based on interpreting rather inconsistent footnotes,
and margin notes, basically in manuscripts post 1000 AD, not on any direct
textual evidence, neither in the Masoretic Texts or anywhere else, afaik

ie. We don't have any Hebrew manuscripts that match the supposed pre-Sopherim
readings, nor any hard evidences that this is a proper interpretation.

(I don't know if some or many of or any of these are referenced e.g. in the
Talmud
or Midrash either.. if so, it could lead to a couple of theories, if not,
why not).

And if the DSS do have not have any of these notes or alternate readings,
would that not
be a very strong evidence against the interpretation of Bullinger (and
Ginsburg's) interpretation
(I do not know if Bullinger really accurately portrays Ginsburg's views).

Has anybody researched in any depth this Massorah issue, especially vis a vis
the
DSS, or other early writings..?

Previously we found Professor Lawrence Schiffman quite negative toward these
interpretations, (he commented on the Tetragrammaton claim) and I found
similar
negativity when I spoke to the Karaite Nehemiah Gordon in Jerusalem
(who has worked with manuscripts under Dr. Emanuel Tov of Hebrew University
in their big MT project).

Has anybody on this forum done any real research on these issues ?

I have found a couple of references to scholarly papers...

(if it is helpful, I will put together one full page on another forum, or a
web-page,
of the resources and views that I have gathered)

Thank you ...

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Bayside, NY

Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:41 pm
Subject: [Messianic_Apologetic] The Emendations of the Sopherim
Referenced also a bit later
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Messianic_Apologetic/message/3950

Now there are a number of books and articles and scholars to study if
I wish to speak with more definiteness on these issues, a couple of which
it would be good to buy :-)

One article that we can be especially interested in is.
Moshe Zipor
Some Notes on the Origin of the Tradition of the Eighteen Tiqqune Sopherim.
VT, vol. 44, 1994, p. 77-102.
list of his articles
http://www.biu.ac.il/JS/tn/Bible.files/menu.files/members.htm#Zipor_Moshe

So far I only emailed Moshe Zipor once, it would be good to try again, and to
seek out the article, perhaps through Hebrew U contacts or in person or
Professor Zipor.

Allow me a little time to organize some notes, make some contacts, do some
studies, perhaps you would like to place the exact evidence of the Masorah
Tiqqqune Sopherim view.

I will include a couple of more comments below ..
For the forum, the 18 that Steven is talking about are at..

"tiqqune sopherim (errors of the scribes) may be found in the following
verses: Genesis 18:22; Numbers 11:15; 12:12; 1 Samuel 3:13; 2 Samuel 16:12;
20:1; 1 Kings 12:16; Jeremiah 2:11; Ezekiel 8:17; Hosea 4:7; Habakkuk 1:12;
Zechariah 2:12; Malachi 1:13; Psalm 106:20; Job 7:20; 32:3; 2 Chronicles
10:16; and Lamentations 3:20."

Bullinger Notes..

"All the oldest and best manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible contain on every
page . . . a varying number of lines of smaller writing, distributed between
the upper and lower margins. This smaller writing is called the Masorah Magna
or Great Masorah, while that in the side margins and between the columns is
called the Masorah Parva or Small Masorah."
- Bullinger, Companion Bible

Schmuel
Just a note...on this forum, you understand why one can be a little cautious
of any arguments based on the phrase.... "the oldest and best manuscripts" :-)

There is also lots of ambiguity and disagreement as to when the Masorah
was actually begun, which is clear from

Kelley, Page H; D Mynatt, T Crawford
Masorah of the Biblica Hebraica Stuttgartensia: Introduction and Annotated
Glossary
(see the first pages on Amazon :-)

======
Also note the claim from Bullinger
(who is the popularizer of the thesis, using Ginsburg as his source)

"(All these substitutions were done in addition to the vowel markings of
"Adonai" being applied to the four letters forming the tetragrammaton
[YHWH]." - Bullinger

Schmuel
Nehemiah says that this is simply untrue for many manuscripts, including the
oldest,
and that some manuscripts had no vowels for the Tetragrammaton whatsoever, in
which case they definitely did not have the vowels for "Adonai".

Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:41 pm