b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] News From Temple Mount

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] News From Temple Mount
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 22:23:22 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:19 PM

> Posted by Yigal Levin on 4/15
> > > Other finds include a spout of a Hasmonean lamp, an assortment of
> > > arrowheads, an ivory comb, a ceramic flask, various first temple
> > > figurines, and numerous pottery oil lamps.
>
> Yigal, thank you for posting this interesting article. Does anyone know
what
> is meant by "First temple figurines" ? thanks,
> -Steve Miller
> Detroit

While not having seen the material, I would assume that the reference is to
figurines similar to the hundreds of clay figurines of female images,
presumably "fertility figurines" (Asherot? Astarte?) found in the nearby
City of David, dated to the latter centuries of the Iron Age.

Yigal

  • Re: [b-hebrew] News From Temple Mount, Yigal Levin, 05/01/2005