b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How does the eagle become new?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How does the eagle become new?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:42:07 +0100

On 28/04/2005 03:42, Deborah Millier wrote:

Dear List Members,

TIT:XAD”$ KANE$ER N:(W.RFY:KIY

“. . .your youth becomes new like the eagle” (Psa.
103:5).

The one addressed is the writer’s NEPE$, I see that.
But I can’t find a satisfying point of comparison
between NEPE$ and NE$ER, save the near transposition
of letters. :-)

How does an (the?) eagle become new, hence a NEPE$’s
youth become new?

It is literally "the eagle" with the Hebrew article - you have omitted the dageshes which confirm this in your transcription. But presumably "the eagle" in the sense of a typical individual eagle, rather than a specific bird.

I think this is a good example of how Hebrew poetry, and indeed poetry in any language, needs to be appreciated rather than analysed. For surely the general message of this is obvious, even if strict logic is not observed. But if you need to analyse it, as you might for translation, I would suggest that here we really have two interleaved sentences: "your youth will be renewed, you will become like an eagle". An alternative with a subtly different meaning, which I found in a translation, might be "you will be renewed, you will become like a young eagle".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)