b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew spelling [was: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Dave Washburn'" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew spelling [was: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?]
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:47:56 -0400

Dave wrote:

> Um, I have to squawk a bit here; the KH ending of the DSS is
> the oldest form
> we have, since the K- ending in "Biblical Hebrew" is found in
> the medieval
> Masoretic manuscripts and we don't have a clue which spelling
> predominated
> in, say pre-exilic Hebrew writing.

We have epigraphic Hebrew: Gogel lists the 2ms suffix as -K in all except one
disputed instance where -KH might be used (Khirbet Beit Lei 1:1 according to
Miller's reconstruction).

Kutscher's masterpiece on the Language and Linguistic Background of the
Isaiah Scroll convinced me regarding the usefulness of spelling for dating
texts.

Ken
Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,