b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5 + "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5 + "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:17:08 -0400

> > Sorry for off-topic, and I realize that this is a "sensitive" issue, but
> does anyone know if Qumran scrolls shed any light on the issue of "virgin"
> vs. "young woman" in Isaiah 7:14?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eugene

There is a one-letter difference between DSS (Dead Sea Scrolls) and MT
(Masoretic Text). I think it does shed some light:

Isa 7:14 quoted by Matt 1:23 "they shall call his name Emmanuel"
Isa 7:14 MT "she [the mother] shall call his name Immanuel"

Matthew uses the third person plural indefinate pronoun, indicating that
many people, not defined who, will call His name Emmanuel. Thus Emmanuel
must be someone great, according to Matthew.

MT says the child's mother would name Him Immanuel. Thus Immanuel could
just be a sign. Not necessarily someone great.

Isa 7:14 LXX has "you shalt call his name Emmanuel", using the 2nd person
indefinate pronoun, which gives pretty much the same meaning as Matthew's
translation.

Isa 7:14 Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) has literally "one shall call his name
Emmanuel", using the 3rd person singular indefinate pronoun which is best
translated the way Matthew translated it, as "they".

The difference between "one shall call" and "she shall call" is one letter.
The MT has an added tof at the end.

-Steve Miller
Detroit, MI

  • Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5 + "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14, Steve Miller, 04/08/2005