b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <abuian AT access4less.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:6
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:43:45 -0500

James C. Kirk wrote:
Trevor,

Given that BH has no separate reflexive pronouns a preposition or 'et
with a suffix may be used with reflexive force (IBHS 16.4g), but are
there any other potential examples of a full noun phrase being used in
the reflexive position? Unless there are I would think that this would
be closer to a definitive argument against the "elohim = God"
interpretation. What do you think?

Well, to start with, I'm not sure you've framed the question correctly. It's not so much that there is a reflexive position; grammatically, we might say that there's simply no need for a reflexive in Hebrew. The pronouns and structures used to make a referent the same as the subject are essentially those used when the referent is different. The question is, when is a pronoun acceptable, and when is a full noun preferable? The possible explanations I mentioned were an attempt to point out some alternatives. Certainly deference can put a noun in place of a second person pronoun. I can conceive of a poetic motivation, although I don't claim to know enough about Hebrew poetry to say whether that's a likely explanation. Distance from the last time the referent was specifically mentioned is a common reason in most languages. And again, if the reference is to God-ness, that would be a reason to use the term (which, BTW, is not an actual repetition, since it is not how he is addressed earlier in the Psalm).

I'm not saying the argument is entirely unconvincing. My primary concern in responding was to clarify what I thought was a muddled articulation of the argument. Beyond that, I have tried to offer some possible alternatives that should be addressed.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics