b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Kitchen part I:

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Kitchen part I:
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:53:18 +0100

Dear Yigal and Uri,
I do apologize for mixing your letters up. I have trouble in my old age
following and counting the arrows and all. I have decided to give some
response to Kitchen as requested but fear my difficulty in understanding some
of his criticisms of my work will make my response unsatisfactory to some.

I have not responded to Kitchen earlier primarily because I have not felt
that his objections and criticisms to what I have written express much
understanding of the issues I have addressed and I did not want to be part of
a long drawn out quarrel signifying nothing. I feel that his book avoids the
actual debates that occurred in the 70s and 90s and is largely judging a
debate that is over.

Kitchen addresses my work directly in two sections: my work of 1992 on pages
450ff. and the debates of the 1970s on pp. 475-484 as he identifies these as
two discussions "more than a generation apart". He does have his way of
making me seem older that he is! I had always judged the period of the 80s as
most decisive for the debate on historicity, but that is not the issue for
today.

In his discussion of the golden-oldies of the 70s he takes up Redford, Van
Seters and me without always clearly distinguishing between us. I do remember
these works and the discussion well, so I believe I recognize when he is
referring to my work. Page 475f (alsp. 342), he discusses patriarchal names
and draws conclusions that are essentially compatible with what I wrote in my
Historicity of 1974. This is also the case in his treatment of the "Amorites"
(476f.) and about the Nuzi tablets (480f): the most important three issues
of my work. In this respect, I suspect he would agree with me against Van
Seters (see my JAOS 1978 article), especially in regard to the chronological
distribution of such names. I do wish Kitchen had written something just as
scathing in the 1970s, but he didn't.

There are, of course, some issues of disagreement. He prefers--with Dever in
his 1977 article in Miller-Hayes!--the MB II period as the time of the
patriarchs, but he has missed my response to Deveer in JSOT 9(1978), 2-43,
though Dever at that time was still clinging to the Amorite hypothesis, which
I had emptied.

On the issue of the direction of migration, Kitchen's proposal that Abraham's
family was transhumant nomadic is beside the point, as the direction of
migration was an argument of Buccellatti/ Kupper and especially Dever that
there was evidence for a migration westwards, which there was not.

Unfortunately, he does not really understand the argument of Irvin (not
Irwin) and folktale studies. She did not argue that the use of folktale
motifs and structures in the Joseph and Moses stories, made these figures
unhistorical, only--as Kitchen himself does--that these elements of their
stories are.

I also wonder at his association of me with the documentary hypothesis and
that tradition of scholarship. Most--including myself--have understood my
work as substantially opposed to that kind of "historical criticism"
(Again,see my JÁOS 1978 article).

Finally, on this early period. It does not pertain that Kitchen thinks there
may be other treaties more relevant than Mendenhall used, I was writing my
article in 1977.

I will continue these comments with Kitchen's more interesting discussion of
my work from 1992.

Thomas

Thomas L. Thompson
Professor, University of Copenhagen

Dear Yigal,
I don't really have a "position" about a temple in Jerusalem,
destroyed by the neo-Babylonians. I expect that it was built and destroyed.
When it would have been built, I cannot say. I see Jerusalem becoming a
significant regional power between the mid-8th and mid 7th centuries and so
certainly think of this period, but I have no compelling reason. In
Jerusalem, one would expect the temple deity would be Yahweh, but Ba'al and
Asherah might also be included.

I fail to understand your rhetoric concerning "one of the inventions
made up in Hellenistic times." It is not quite my own.

I will take a look at Kitchen's remarks, as it has been some time
since I read his piece.

I am familiar with some of the literature on Beth Shemesh, but I am
uncertain about what it supports.
Thomas