b-hebrew - SV: [b-hebrew] Re: Samaritan-Hebrew Schism

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, "Chris Weimer" <cweb255 AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: SV: [b-hebrew] Re: Samaritan-Hebrew Schism
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:25:38 +0100

Ingrid Hjelm (The Samaritans and Early Judaism 2000 and Jerusalem's Rise to
Sovereignty 2004) argues that Samaritans and Jews were two parallel
developments. The Samaritans also have their own independent chronicle
tradition, including a Book of Joshua. Recent excavations on Gerizim have
uncovered a temple from the early 5th/ early 4th centuries (cf. Hjelm in
Currents 2005).
Thomas

Thomas L. Thompson
University of Copenhagen