b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lost Causes Job 39:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lost Causes Job 39:13
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:25:21 -0500

Clay:

Unlike George, I don't recommend going to the pub. But I'm tempted,
awfully tempted!

I just worked through the verse again myself, and it gave me a
headache. The only way that makes sense is to assume that the
points on at least some of the words are wrong, and go from there.

KNP I read as prefixed K on the verb NWP "As presenting (putting before)"
RNNYM "shouts of joy"
N(LSH "was made merry"
)M )BRH "with its soaring feathers"
XSYDH "ostrich"
WNCH "and its pinions"

Even as I write this response to you, I'm revising what I worked
out earlier today. What a headache!

So as I translate it now, "as presenting shouts of joy, an ostrich
is made merry with its soaring feathers and pinions" fully
recognizing that it is a flightless bird. I still am not totally at
peace with this rendition, but at least it made some sense. Any
other ideas out there?

Karl W. Randolph.