b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:45:00 -0500

Uri:

In good English, "man" refers only to the male of the species.

To use an example from a different language, the German word "Frau" can be
translated as "Missus (Mrs.), "woman" or "wife". The Germans have only one
word, English three, so when translating from German to English one needs to
check the context to recognize which English word fits.

So with Hebrew vs. English, Biblical Hebrew used )Y$, or for a child BN,
where proper English would use "person", "anyone" and "child". So had I
authored Psalm 1:1 in English first, I would have written "Happy is the
person ..." In Hebrew we have a grammatical masculine where )Y$ stands in for
"anyone". Overly literal translators (and I am just as guilty as anyone else)
often put in "man" to preserve the Hebrew phrasiology, even when it does not
fit proper English.

The Levitical passage that started this discussion, has a context indicating
that )Y$ means "man" as in male of the species.

Karl W. Randolph.