b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] JOB 39:3a Syntax? LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'C. Stirling Bartholomew'" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>, "'hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] JOB 39:3a Syntax? LXX
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:47:38 -0500

Hi Clay,

I can see why you might say the "line" in the LXX is not in the MT; the two
don't say exactly the same thing. Yet the phrase you ask about (their
offspring) IS there in verse 3 in the MT: the plural of the noun YELED, with
a feminine third person pronominal suffix, right?
The Greek translator simply varied the word order; this shouldn't surprise
us. He does it in 39:12 again, doesn't he?

Ken Penner, Ph.D. (cand.), McMaster University
M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
Flash! Pro vocabulary software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash or