b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genealogy of David

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genealogy of David
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:22:00 +0100

Hi all

In Ruth 4:20-22 we find that Boaz' father was Salmon, and Boaz' grandson was Jesse (David's father). In Mathew 1:5 we learn that Salmon's wife was Rahab.
This means that this part of the chain begins before the period of the judges. Too few links for more than 300 years.
Of course, the Hebrew word for "father" also means "grandfather", "great-grandfather", and so on, and one can assume that some names in the genealogy are not mentioned for some reason.
But is there any indication of where should those lacking links be? I mean, is there a way (or at least a theory) to know if Rahab was really Boaz' mother, or if Ruth was really David great-grandmother? Is there a way to set the story by the beginning of the period of the judges or by the end?

Thanks!

Sergio