b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] morpho-syntax,was Proverbs 5:16 a declaration or aquestion?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] morpho-syntax,was Proverbs 5:16 a declaration or aquestion?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 01:51:33 -0500

Harold:

What I intended with my illustration is to show that even though many would
consider what I said a question, it is grammatically a statement. Likewise, 1
Samuel 11:12 "Saul will be king over us" is grammatically a statement, not a
question. It is just context that shows that this has the force of a question
in which the negative is expected for the answer. In this reguard, it is an
indirect way of saying that no way would they accept Saul as their king.

For you to translate it as a straightforward question is a mistranslation. I
see a failure to recognize a difference between grammar on the one hand, and
the idiomatic use of language on the other. Idiomatic use sometimes misuses
grammar to make a point. A translator, in order to make clear the thrust of
an idiom, may "mistranslate" it to cover the idea that is being communicated,
but that doesn't change the idiomatic use in the original language to
something different. What I object to is to call this grammatically a
question when it is not. It is idiomatically a question which, if stated as
straight prose, would include a "not" in it.

Interesting, after starting this debate and giving the first example that I
could think of in modern English the same idiomatic use, I heard and even
said myself other statements that had the force of a question, but were
grammatically not a question. And like the example I gave before and in 1
Samuel 11:12, these statements understood as questions expected a negative
response.

In looking through your list below, one feature of non-questions understood
as questions is that they expected a negative response. That's an idiomatic
use of the language that spans languages, another indicator that this use is
not grammatical, but idiomatic.

Some were not even idiomatic questions, like Genesis 27:24. Similarly 1 Kings
1:24, unless you include it as part of an extended question ending in verse
27. Some, like Exodus 8:22 (26 in English) has a section started by "if..."
which is often the indicator of a question, so you can't call this a hidden
question.

To sum it up as I understand it, there is a statement, formulated as a
non-question, that has the force of a question expecting a negative answer,
designed to carry an understood idiomatic meaning. This same idiomatic use of
the language can be used in other languages, showing that it is not a part of
grammar, but human thought. Finally, often translators "translate" the
meaning of an idiom in "mistranslating" the words, such as mistranslating a
sentance as a question.

Karl W. Randolph.