b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic vowel-points accuracy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic vowel-points accuracy
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 06:15:55 -0600

Dear Steven,

Schmuel
Again, who has written a scholarly article "these Masoretic vowel-points are wrong"
that I could study? Not just an offhand flippant claim, but a reasonably rigorous study.

HH: My experience over the years is that the points are to be accepted, but very rarely there can be places where they seem to be incorrect. Even conservative scholars like Keil and Delitzsch occasionally note a pointing they think is not right. In the circles I have been in, although inspiration is claimed for the letters, the same inspiration is not granted to the pointing. Yet the pointed is accepted as generally accurate, reflective of an ancient reading tradition that goes back to about the time of Christ, and not to be lightly treated.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic vowel-points accuracy, Harold R. Holmyard III, 01/01/2005