b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:30:00 +0000

On 25/12/2004 23:53, Jim West wrote:

At 06:44 PM 12/25/2004, you wrote:

So I conclude that there is a real possibility that Ezekiel was at this point using RO)$ as the name of an area or an ethnic group, parallel to Meshech and Tubal, and that the modern name Russia is derived from this place name Rosh - and even that the modern Russians are at least in part descended from the people of the Rosh referred to by Ezekiel.

rosh can also mean "spring, fountain". ...

Evidence, please? Don't tell me you are sure of the meaning of Genesis 2:10.

... so if we adopt the logic peter exhibits we must conclude that rosh is the hebrew word for springfield and hence the bible predicts the settlement of a town in missouri.

No, surely the Springfield inhabited by the Simpsons, which is of course a factual account of modern life. :-)

Jim, please read what I wrote. You have changed "is a real possibility" into "is", and I explicitly avoided any suggestion that the Bible is predicting anything.

of course this is a false etymology. as is peter's. similarity of sound does not mean similarity. in spanish the word embarasado does not mean embarrassed- it means pregnant. i can be embarrassed- but i am biologically incapable of being pregnant- unless you adopt the fallacy illuminated here- the etymological fallacy.

beware the etymology fallacy.

Amen! Agreed! Preach it, brother!

But what I am suggesting as a possibility is not a case of the etymological fallacy. The historical study of toponyms is a quite different field from etymology. I did not suggest any meaning for the place name Rosh, except that I quoted a speculative Persian definition from an encyclopedia. My argument is from the continuity of place names and ethnic group names over millennia, something which is demonstrably true.

But all of my suggestions here are explicitly speculative. You wrote "no chance". George wrote "0.0 %". I have, for about the tenth time this week, called you to account for making dogmatic negative statements about something for which there is certainly no proof of the negative, although proof of the positive is also inadequate. Even if the probability of my speculation being right is only about 1%, which may be about right, your zero is still zero percent of my one percent. You were acting in an unscholarly way in dogmatically rejecting any possibility of a link to Russia, and you seemed to be doing so as a gut reaction. I wonder if this was because you knew of the Hal Lindsey link and were not prepared to consider the hypothesis because of prejudice against its source. This is not the proper scholarly method.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)